.SDK/.OUT - Roland S-5xx & S-7xx floppy disk images + CD-ROMs + floppy disks
This is really two completely different formats:
You may encounter Roland files on three different media:
- The '12-bit generation': Roland S-50, S-51, S-330, W-30, S-500, and S-550.
- The '16-bit generation': Roland S-70, S-700, S-750, S-760, S-770 and S-772.
Roland waveforms are recorded with a type of treble boosting called 'emphasis' which the synth need to reverse before playback for correct sound. When reading such waveforms, this program automatically applies a correct 'de-emphasis' filter so that you do not have to worry about this.
- On Roland formatted CD-ROMs. These are not recognized by Windows. Use
I/O → Read from Sampler CD to read them.
- On Roland formatted floppy disks (usually 720KB for S-5xx series and 1.44MB for S-7xx series). These are not recognized by Windows. Use
I/O → Read from Roland floppy to read them!
- On floppy disk image files (often found on the internet), usually with a .SDK or a .OUT file extension. These are floppy disks that have been 'copied whole' to a PC file using 3rd party utilities (e.g. 'SDISK.EXE'). Open them using the normal
File → Open file command.
- 12 / 16-bits, mono, loop name, fine-tune, lfos, envelopes, layers, instruments, collection, multiple filter types.