3D Planetarium + Virtual Spaceship
Try the free shareware
Buy the full version for €20 / $22
Runs under: Windows 11 / 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP
StarStrider is a software planetarium, a virtual spaceship, a 3D star chart, a solar system simulator, and more… It is fun and educative, pure beauty and scientifically accurate. It is our hope that it will give you a glimpse at the wonders of the universe, and inspire you with some of the awe that we feel for the cosmos.
||StarStrider v2.5 was reviewed with much|
praise in the November 2003 issue of
Sky & Telescope Magazine
Sky & Telescope Magazine:|
Top 25 Hot Products - 1999
"the most entertaining way thus far to tour the stars"
V1.0 featured in the August, September & December 1999 issues.
Here's but a few samples of what you'll be able to see in StarStrider!
Contains the full Hipparcos database of 118 218 stars – plus an optional database of 2 million more stars – with true 3D-positions.|
Several star rendering modes – from simple points to Saturated Gauss bells with diffraction crosses.
Visible extent when you get close to a star.
Optional visual effects such as lens flares, camera burn-out, et c.
Just double-click on a star to travel to it.
View a large selection of galaxies, star clusters and nebulae, compiled from a variety of catalogues.|
Visit all of the planets and the major satellites of our solar system.
The program contains detailed planetary surface maps, as well as maps for specular high lights, bumpiness, and cloud layers.
Includes a comprehensive database of common names for stars, constellations, galaxies, nebulae and planet surface features.|
You can right click on any object to view more extensive catalogue information on it, including educative notes for some selected objects.
The 'Object finder', pictured below:|
Optionally use 'anaglyph 3D-glasses' for stereo 3D - both 'normal' and 'colour' anaglyphs are supported (above is one a 'red-cyan' color anaglyph).
Also supports SBS stereo and AMD HD3D for true stereo viewing on 3D TV's and projectors.
- Includes several educational and entertaining tutorials.
- Optional relativistic aberration and Doppler-shift effects - travel in a true Einsteinean universe rather than in Newtonian fashion.
- Use controllers (mice, keyboard, joysticks) for steering your star-ship.
- Scripting engine and StarLua extension language - with a little work it's possible to create your own demonstrations and presentations just like the included tutorials.
- A scientifically accurate planetarium - made by an astronomer and a software engineer - both with a background in physics!
- Highly realistic rendering is possible — Compare with a real photograph.
Comparison with a real photograph
Photograph used with permission from Tunc Tezel
Click on one of the links below to start downloading:
- Windows 11 / 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XPSP3.
- Anaglyph 3D glasses.
- Xbox 360 controller or a joystick.
- AMD HD3D GPU + 3D TV/projector.
Limitations of the Trial version
- 30-day trial time limit.
- You have to restart it after a while.
StarStrider is commercial software marketed as Shareware.
This means that you get to "try it before you buy it".
If you find that you like it and wish to continue using it past the 30 day free trial period, then you need to buy a license.
There's also more some incentives for buying it:
- Removes "unregistered labels" and "nag screens".
- It will no longer close itself after 10 minutes of use.
- You'll be able to use the 2 million stars add-on database.
- You gain access to larger, more detailed planetary texture packs.
Buy it on-line here:
Payments are handled by PayPal.
Most credit cards are accepted.
EU-customers: VAT will be added the price.
License and delivery terms:
After we have received your order, you will be sent an email containing a registration code.
This is your license key that unlocks the trial version into the full version.
Please note: The code is normally sent within 48 hours, but not immediately (also, do check your "spam" or "junk" folders if you don't find it in your in-box).
What you buy is a "single user" license.
It is valid for the current program version, and for any minor version number updates (major version updates may require an upgrade fee).
You are allowed to install it on more than computer, but you are not allowed to "borrow" it to other persons. The license is personal and can not be transferred or resold.
Thank you for your order!
If everything went fine with the PayPal transaction, an email containing your reg-code and further instructions should arrive within the next 48 hours.
Please be patient, orders are manually verified before delivery. If you don't see an email, be sure to check you junk-mail folder before contacting support.